Who I'm Listening To

  • Lupe Fiasco - Love Letter to the Beat (single)
  • N.E.R.D - Nothing
  • Janelle Monae - Without a Fight (single)
  • Cee Lo Green - The Lady Killer
  • Kanye West - G.o.o.d Fridays

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My random culture shock moments


Numero uno: I'm grocery shopping (a challenge in and of itself when everything is in another language) and I keep hearing these scurrying footsteps behind me. Every time I turn around, the owner of the footsteps is nowhere to be found. So I stop shopping and just stare down the isle. Moments later this 4 or 5 year old girl, wearing one of those pointless germ face masks, appears in the isle and for a few moments we’re deadlocked in a staring contest. I decided to break the stalemate with a smile/wave, and she ran away. El Fin…

Numero dos: I'm an XXXL in Korean clothes…and that’s for a slim fit

Numero tres: I walk around school to a symphony of  children screaming, “hello Obama teacher!” I thought that this was really cool and my heart swelled…I later found out that every black teacher was getting the same treatment throughout Korea. But the English Department head did tell me I looked like Denzel. I’ll take Denzel Obama. 

5 comments:

  1. Dorian - This reminds me of the first time I walked into a supermarket when I was living in Israel. Its crazy how much culture you can take from just seeing a countries market. Im having such a great time reading about your journey! Keep em coming!

    Jordan Freedman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty funny, especially your Obama moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Papi!...tu tia esta gozando este blog!.....i specially loved your new name Denzel Obama?.....not bad my darling Denzel!.....personally i think you are cuter...then i am your Nina what do i really know?...to me you are great!
    Love you and have always in my prayers!....missing you tons!
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny.... I remember feeling special being called OBAMA in Spain. you ruined my treat! Thanks D. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. MUHAUHAUHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH! at Denzel Obama...Well that's better than Kobe

    ReplyDelete